Who We Are
Houston Hospice is the largest nonprofit hospice in Greater Houston.
Our service area spans across 10 counties in Texas and includes, Austin, Brazoria, Colorado, Fort Bend, Harris, Jackson, Matagorda, Montgomery, Waller and Wharton. Houston Hospice has served patients and families since 1980, and is a proud member of the Texas Medical Center.
WHY HOUSTON HOSPICE?
- Houston Hospice helps patients and families make memories and enjoy their lives fully. Our doctors and nurses specialize in managing pain and symptoms that are unique to life-limiting illnesses. Other medical professionals are not trained to do this.
- Houston Hospice comes to you. Patients can stay at home longer because we make house calls, we’re on call 24/7, and we deliver any needed medical equipment.
- Houston Hospice helps for as long as you need us. When a life-limiting diagnosis is made, we can meet with patients and families right away. Medical, emotional and spiritual support is available for several months.
- Houston Hospice care is covered by Medicare, Medicaid and many private insurance plans.
- We are Houston’s oldest, largest, independent hospice and we are proud to be a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization that is community-based and community-supported. Because of community support, patients have a choice and they can request Houston Hospice.
WHAT MAKES US UNIQUE?
We care for the patient, and the family
One of the most important things that we hear from families is that we serve them and their loved ones with heart. That’s because we understand how difficult a time it is for everyone when a loved one is on their end of life journey.
We take a team approach to care that includes physician, nurses, social workers, chaplains, hospice aides, volunteers, and bereavement counselors. We provide hospice service wherever patients and families need us: in home or in our inpatient care unit. Our respite care can go into other facilities providing rest for family and caregivers.
What is hospice?
Hospice is compassionate care for people facing life-limiting illness or injury. Houston Hospice’s approach includes the family as one unit. We keep on caring, no matter the patient’s condition.
HOUSTON HOSPICE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Paul F. Mansfield, MD, Chairman of the Board
- Joyce Testa Salhoot, MSW, MHA, Vice Chairman
- Stephanie Martin, Secretary
- Faisal H. Aboul-Enein, DrPH, RN, FACHE
- Lance Boudreaux
- Thomas R. Cole, PhD
- AI W. Gatmaitan, DSc., FACHE
- Sarita A. Hixon
- Conrad Johnson
- Mary Ellen Meyer
- James A. Reeder, Jr.
- Judson W. Robinson, III
- Sarah E. Selleck, MD
- Jon A. Unroe, CPA
- Sue Stiles White
- Kathryn A. Lagus, RN, Associate Board Member
- James A. Faucett, President and CEO
- William A. Hyslop, FACHE, Advisors
- Michele J. Sabino, EdD, Advisors
HOUSTON HOSPICE SENIOR LEADERSHIP TEAM
- Rana S. McClelland President and CEO
- Christine Blackmon, CPA, Vice President/CFO
- Aida Matic, CFRE, Vice President of Development & Community Outreach
- Jayne O’Brien, Vice President of Patient Services
- Elizabeth Strauch, MD, FACP, FAAHPM, Vice President of Medical Affairs
- Gary E. Erwin, MD
- Thuy Hanh Trinh, MD, Patient Care Center Team Physician
- Julia Reyser, MD, Board Certified in Family Medicine and Geriatrics
- Gildardo Ceballos, MD
- Nancy Glass, MD, Associate Medical Director
- Joanna Ira, MD, Physician Associate