Who We Are
What is Hospice?
Your quality of life matters at Houston Hospice. Hospice care is a special kind of care that focuses on managing pain and symptoms associated with life-limiting illness to improve the patient’s quality of life. Houston Hospice has helped patients and families live their best quality of life since 1980.
Houston Hospice cares for the patient and the family
Houston Hospice cares for the patient and family together. One of the most important things that we hear from families is that we serve them and their loved ones with heart. That’s because we understand how difficult a time it is for everyone when a loved one is on their end of life journey.
We take a team approach to care that includes a physician, nurses, social workers, chaplains, hospice aides, volunteers, and bereavement counselors. We provide hospice service wherever patients and families need us – in their home, an assisted living facility, retirement community, or wherever the patient is located. Our respite care can go into other facilities and provide rest for family and caregivers. We meet patients wherever they are. Life Matters at Houston Hospice
Houston Hospice is the largest nonprofit hospice in Greater Houston
Our service area spans across 13 counties in Texas and includes, Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Colorado, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Jackson, Liberty, Matagorda, Montgomery, Waller, and Wharton. Houston Hospice has served patients and families since 1980, and is a proud member of the Texas Medical Center.
Why Choose Houston Hospice?
- Established in 1980, Houston Hospice is Greater Houston’s largest and most respected hospice.
- Houston Hospice helps patients and families live their best quality of life by providing top rated care that meets their specific medical, emotional, and spiritual needs.
- Each patient and family collaborates with an interdisciplinary team that includes a physician, case manager, hospice aide, social worker, chaplain, bereavement specialist, and volunteer.
- On-staff physicians are Board Certified in Hospice and Palliative Medicine and specialize in managing pain and symptoms that are unique to end-of-life care.
- The hospice care team is available to answer any questions 24/7 and can be reached at 713-Hospice or email@example.com.
- 93% of families recommend Houston Hospice as a hospice of choice in Greater Houston according to Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS).
- Accredited by Community Health Accreditation Partner (CHAP) for exceeding quality and compliance standards since 2009.
- The Houston Hospice Inpatient Unit is open to patients who are unable to manage pain and symptoms at their own place of residence.
- Routine home care services are offered by our hospice care team at the patient’s place of residence.
- Houston Hospice care is covered by Medicare, Medicaid and most private insurance plans and charity care is provided for those in need.
HOUSTON HOSPICE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Joyce Testa Salhoot, MSW, MHA, Board Chair
- AI W. Gatmaitan, DSc., FACHE, Vice Chair
- Jiali Sun, MD, Ph.D., Secretary
- Conrad Johnson, Treasurer
- Faisal H. Aboul-Enein, DrPH, RN, FACHE, Board Member
- Cecilia Bell, RN, Board Member
- Thomas R. Cole, PhD, Board Member
- Seth Hopkins, JD
- Paul Mansfield, MD (Past Chair), Board Member
- Mary Ellen Meyer, Board Member
- James A. Reeder, Jr., Board Member
- Judson W. Robinson, III, Board Member
- Sarah E. Selleck, MD, Board Member
- Jon A. Unroe, CPA, Board Member
- Sue Stiles White, Board Member
- Rana S. McClelland, MBA, President & CEO
- Marina Ciny George, MD, MBA, FHM, FACP, Advisor
- Sarita A. Hixon, Advisor
- William A. Hyslop, FACHE, Advisors
- Michele J. Sabino, EdD, Advisors
- H. Richard Walton
HOUSTON HOSPICE SENIOR LEADERSHIP TEAM
- Rana S. McClelland, President & CEO
- Christine Blackmon, CPA, Vice President/CFO
- Ken Hudson, Vice President of Business Development
- Aida Matic, CFRE, Vice President of Development & Community Engagement
- Jayne O’Brien, Vice President of Patient Services
- Elizabeth Strauch, MD, FACP, FAAHPM, Vice President of Medical Affairs
- Gary E. Erwin, MD
- Thuy Hanh Trinh, MD, Patient Care Center Team Physician
- Julia Reyser, MD, Board Certified in Family Medicine and Geriatrics
- Gildardo Ceballos, MD
- Nancy Glass, MD, Associate Medical Director
- Joanna Ira, MD, Physician Associate